Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My theme song...

So this is a fairly new discovery for me, and for the longest time I didn't know the artist so I couldn't even get the song. Craziness!

Anywho, the song is "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield. Take it or leave it, I love the song, the lyrics really speak to me. If you read my profile info, I mention having already suffered an identity crisis. I was 27 years old and had no clue who I was. I had always defined myself by the men in my life. I went from boyfriend to boyfriend... and would take on whatever interests my love interest of the moment was. Fast forward through a marriage and three children in less than 6 years and I had NO identity. I had ideas of who I thought everyone else thought I should be, but that's not who I was.

Again, anywho, here I am at 30 years old and I am happy to be who I am. Right, so that leads me too the lyrics of this song: (I'm copying and pasting this.. hope that's legal, heh)
I am unwritten,
Can't read my mind
I'm undefined
I'm just beginning
The pen's in my hand
Ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words
That you could not find
Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions

Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten, yeah

Oh, oh

I break tradition
Sometimes my tries
Are outside the lines, oh yeah yeah
We've been conditioned
To not make mistakes
But I can't live that way oh, oh


There's more of the chorus repeated, but this is the main part of the song. The part that speaks to me is this line, "No one else can speak the words on your lips." For so long I tried to do that. It's not worth it. You need to be your own person to be able to find true happiness. You have to live your life for you first because if you're not happy... neither is anyone else in your life when they are with you. There's my biggest piece of advice, figure out who you are and own it. :)


amor y paz,
me

No comments: